Privately-owned Metal Recycler is searching for a Logistics Manager to lead its international and domestic shipping team. The Logistics Manager leads the team while ensuring that the company’s transportation methods meet the needs of the organization, its suppliers, and customers. This position is a key bridge between the logistics team, sales, global customers, and accounting/finance for all aspects of material transport.
The role will interface with internal customers, suppliers, receivers, and transportation providers to manage all aspects of FCL and FTL shipments.
- Manage and direct the international export, import, and domestic shipping activity ensuring a cost-effective, high quality transportation service.
- Supervise, train and mentor a remote team of logistics specialists.
- Provide escalation path and problem resolution
- Oversee transactions using company operating system, ensuring that orders are transported successfully, and that documentation is accurate and complete.
- Collaborate with sourcing and sales, supporting new business opportunities
- Communicate with internal and external customers on problems and issues
- Engage with steamship lines and freight forwarders for rates, bookings, and problem resolution.
- Negotiate ocean rates and other charges for best cost solutions.
- Assist in month-end accounting close and management reporting; validate costs
- Maintain a rate/routing guide and a Standard Operating Process for the department
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 5+ years working in logistics for a freight forwarder or shipper required
- 3+ years managerial experience; experience managing a remote workforce preferred
- Solid understanding of ocean freight and export/import transportation methods and requirements